Monday, February 3, 2014

Caribbean Art (Paper mosaic)

















         My Caribbean art project started off with a water color base and light brush strokes. I wanted to use the traditional bright colors that Caribbean culture integrates in their art, so I chose vibrant reds, oranges, as well as calm blues and greens. I used a combination of materials, so I think I could call this piece a mixed media type of collage; I used gouache paint, water color, and shredded paper to create this piece. I personally preferred my other ceramic painting piece because I like working with different medias, rather than just paper and paint. However, I thought that the paper and paint would be the most suitable for this project because I wanted to keep the media basic, but emphasize the strong colors. I enjoyed the color scheme of my project and I decided to keep the design simple because a mixed media piece can become messy if there is too much going on. Also, I was inspired by the Caribbean art paintings (shown at the top of the post), and used the traditional palm tree and sunset look, which captures the Caribbean setting. 


















1 comment:

  1. I agree that this project is not as strong. I would like to see you revisit the idea of using the bright, bold Carribbean colors in a more sophisticated way -- this one feels a bit too elementary for you. I think that you could easily combine paint and collage to create a stronger piece (there is nothing inherently wrong with the choice of technique) but it would require more time, a wider variety of sizes in your paper, and a much richer, more nuanced color collection -- even within the simplest, most traditional Carribbean work, there is always more connection between colors and more variation within them.

    ReplyDelete